Following his release from Guantanamo Bay, Sami Al-Hajj, a (former) Guantanamo Bay detainee, dashes towards his eight year old son Mohammad and swoops him up in his arms, hugging him and planting tender kisses on his face in their first reunion after seven years.
After being imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay for seven years, during which he was repeatedly interrogated and tortured, including being physically, sexually, and psychologically abused, Al Hajj was released without any charges held against him.
Al Hajj, a journalist for the Al Jazeera network, was arrested in Pakistan in 2001 while on his way to do camerawork for the network concerning the war that had recently broken out in Afghanistan. It has been speculated by both Al Hajj’s lawyer, Clive Stafford Smith, and Reporters Without Borders that the main reason that he was incarcerated for so long was due to the US Miliary’s desire to make him an informant against Al Jazeera, as most of Al Hajj’s interrogations consisted of American interrogators questioning him about the (Al Jazeera) network.
While in Guantanamo, Al Hajj wrote a poem titled Humiliated in Shackles to his son Mohammad:
When I heard pigeons cooing in the trees,
Hot tears covered my face.
When the lark chirped, my thoughts composed
A message for my son.
Mohammad, I am afflicted.
In my despair, I have no one but Allah for comfort.
The oppressors are playing with me,
As they move freely around the world.
They ask me to spy on my countrymen,
Claiming it would be a good deed.
They offer me money and land,
And freedom to go where I please.
Their temptations seize
My attention like lightning in the sky.
But their gift is an empty snake,
Carrying hypocrisy in its mouth like venom,
They have monuments to liberty
And freedom of opinion, which is well and good.
But I explained to them that
Architecture is not justice.
America, you ride on the backs of orphans,
And terrorize them daily.
The world recognizes an arrogant liar.
To Allah I direct my grievance and my tears.
I am homesick and oppressed.
Mohammad, do not forget me.
Support the cause of your father, a God-fearing man.
I was humiliated in the shackles.
How can I now compose verses? How can I now write?
After the shackles and the nights and the suffering and the tears,
How can I write poetry?
My soul is like a roiling sea, stirred by anguish,
Violent with passion.
I am a captive, but the crimes are my captors’.
I am overwhelmed with apprehension.
Lord, unite me with my son Mohammad.
Lord, grant success to the righteous.
“He intends to launch legal action against George W. Bush.”
nail him to the fucking wall, Sami Al-Hajj
- iamobsolete reblogged this from heyitsxio and added:
- perpetually-insipid likes this
- scrawnyappleseed likes this
- karirak reblogged this from zillyshit
- karirak likes this
- rougesquadronbadwolf reblogged this from zillyshit
- rougesquadronbadwolf likes this
- baraarmin reblogged this from zillyshit
- zillyshit reblogged this from heyitsxio
- heyitsxio reblogged this from mindsprayhiphop
- allacharade likes this
- pretty-persuasion likes this
- freedomdragon likes this
- i-worship-and-forget-you likes this
- the-road-not-taken88 reblogged this from theyoungradical
- the-road-not-taken88 likes this
- monsieurfuad reblogged this from theyoungradical
- sleepygirlgang likes this
- whisperyvoices likes this
- lugine reblogged this from theyoungradical
- prettydaze reblogged this from theyoungradical
- pencilsfulloflead likes this
- markaveliii reblogged this from mindsprayhiphop
- ehg00d likes this
- life-isbuta-dream reblogged this from mindsprayhiphop
- life-isbuta-dream likes this
- syedaaj reblogged this from eternaldreams313
- cutestboi likes this
- mindsprayhiphop reblogged this from idemandliberation
- eternaldreams313 reblogged this from heartsopureinthisbrokenplace
- heartsopureinthisbrokenplace reblogged this from theyoungradical
- heartsopureinthisbrokenplace likes this
- mindsprayhiphop likes this
- idemandliberation likes this
- idemandliberation reblogged this from theyoungradical
- allamatale likes this
- 10corsocomo likes this
- singing-in-the-sunshine likes this
- areemeers reblogged this from theyoungradical
- lamslam likes this
- anarchist-cookbook-official reblogged this from theyoungradical
- anarchist-cookbook-official likes this
- pulparindos reblogged this from theyoungradical
- sheila-put-the-knife-down likes this
- theyoungradical reblogged this from peace-love-justice
- liolibolo likes this
- venenumdulcissime likes this
- taomiu likes this
- effasharkey likes this